Thursday, March 11, 2010

safe, sound and Nivea

I've never been even near Asia. Actually the closest I've ever come to Asia was buying an Indian cookbook after developing an unconditional love for curries whilst living in Shrewsbury. I went to Marocco, but that's Africa. So with the bare purchase of a returnticket, I got one step closer to adding another continent on my 'have seen' list.
Of course my flight is delayed... Which I'm seeing as a practice in concentration. I am compensated with a food voucher: two and a half hours of my human life equal 15 euros (or a fish and chips meal). During the meal I get to listen to Krezip and Rene Froger in de 'Old Amsterdam'. The rest of the time I spend in a lounge area where I am treated to endless views of Hollandish Horizons; trees, creeks, cows and more windmills than I can count. All this joy accompanied by the soft snores of my next-chair neighbour. I've never felt more Dutch in my life.
Eleven hours, two meals and one-and-a-half movies later I arrive in Bangkok. Analyst that I am, I start comparing, trying to make sense of it all. Fruitless off course, backstreets of Miami, sandy islands in Greece, horse-and-carriages in Egypt, nor the old North of Rotterdam have nothing to do with Bangkok. I'm just to fucking tired.
I know it's the worst thing to do when suffering from a jet-lag, but I allow myself one hour of sleep and cold shower. The cold wasn't really an option. I am cranky and even though there is nobody here to annoy with my downish mood, I do have to spent another 28 days with myself. Let alone the rest of my life.
I finally relax when I smell the Nivea sunscreen that I put on my face and arms. Funny how that worked for me; I take that scent with me wherever I go.

And then.
Leaving political drama's behind with recounting votes in Rotterdam, PVV-problems in the Hague, I enter another political issue over here. Apparently there are large protests scheduled for tomorrow, and even the locals are fleading the city. Or so the lady at the Tourist Info Shop told me, but maybe she was just trying to sell me a load of tickets outside of Bangkok. Anyway, I am told not to wear red (in favour of the monarchy) and not to wear yellow (supportive colour of Taksin (?)). So much for my lovely new King Louis dress covered in large red & yellow flowers....

ps. my camere doesn't seem to like the heat... so no pictures just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment