Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ice ice baby


Meanwhile back home I'm freezing my ass off. Facebook is full of charming holiday pictures of friends abroad (the whole reason why I started this blog in the first place). Friends in the sea (with and without turtles or other water-creatures), friends on a beach somewhere, local children with bright but incomplete teeth and beautifull blue skies oddly interrupted by green mountains. All smiles, shorts and surfboards.
My reality at the moment revolves around snow, ice and frostbites. I'm not complaining, because I'm leaving for Thailand in two months time, and the warm blogs and
cozy pictures count as 'research'. But since it's my blog, I can write about whatever I want.
For now my bedroom is so cold I can no longer sleep there, not without NASA-approved hypothermal underwear, and apparently it's sold out everywhere. I have ice-flowers on the inside of my kitchendoor-window, the orangejuice in my fridge has iced up (yes, that's in my fridge, not freezer) and I'm using kitchen towels to cover the floor so that my feet aren't so cold. Bribing myself with coffee and a shower just to get out of bed no longer works. Bare rent really is bare with PWS in Rotterdam. I also realise I just killed any chance I had to promote or sublet my house for the month I'll be gone...
All this caused my semi-permanent move into the living room where my life now looks like the IKEA-add where a student lives around her four-poster bed. With me it's more like a trashed sofa-bed surrounded by all the knit-wear I could find. But, I'm warm, I have some feeling back in my toes, so I'm happy.
This also has something to do with my new best friend.
So what if he's a cheap (12€), extremely loud bastard who waits for me in the kitchen and follows me into the shower. He's dependable and keeps me warm, although he was intimidated by his competition at first.... but at the moment, I'm glad to have both!

No comments:

Post a Comment