Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I ffr, U ffr, We all ffr

There's something magical about that first day of the International Film Festival of Rotterdam (iffr). It's full of promise, you are not yet intimidated by long queues of people while you are parking your bike (that comes when you turn round the corner and find out that the first guy has been there since 4 in the morning). You don't know yet that the film you want to see most will be sold out (both online and at the box-office). Armed with your 'Volkskrant-bijlage', you walk towards a volunteer who smiles at you welcomly, helping you to get your seats, you hope.

But if you're that volunteer it's different kind off tension. My mother is trained not to call me unless it's to have lunch at the Doelen. Even my colleagues know not to expect to much from me this week. I'm otherwise engaged. My friends invitation to go see 'have you heard about the Morgans?' is replied with a somewhat annoyed 'I can't, its Iffr (duh), so neither can you, not unless you go to the Kuip' (as if). Iffr to me means holiday in my own city, a city I'm still proud off, even when I'm angry with my country (it happens). A holiday filled with old & new friends (and ex-lovers), parties, crap movies where you can catch up on your sleep and great films that you will talk about in years to come.
So as I walk into the main building (Doelen), and greet the people I see once a year, the knot in my stomach finally unties. I collect my bag, my t-shirt and my drinking-ticket, and we're back.

That is, untill my supervisors place me at the end of the line (few customers, so really boring), near the exit (cold!). There's no coffee and the first customer doesn't even ask what he want's, he just starts screaming his complaints and after the second customer my computer deletes half of the tickets. I forgot, Iffr sucks, sometimes.

But, with some excitement I open up my first 'lunch package' for dinner and thank God for rolls with normal cheese and chicken (instead of that creamy fruit salad they gave us two years ago). The supposed apple square is greeted with less enthousiasm, but proves to be bonding material with other volunteers ("what do you think it is?", "I'm not sure" "Hi, I'm Therese etc.". And, it's Iffr, so when I make some people happy with tickets that were sold out online and nobody complains about the 1€ transaction fee implemented this year, I'm happy and I remember why I'm here (the free movie-vouchers help).

Technically it's not really the first day since I've already had box-office training, e-mail conversations about the rubbish reservation system with my best friend, planned my work-life around my Iffr-life, walked out on my first film (Kamui, sorry, I draw a line at Japanese Ninja's with a visible blue screen), drank away my first tokens and got re-aquainted with the 'bouwploeg' at last saturday's livingroom party.

Twelve more days, and I'm looking forward to every single one of them, (accept for that last sunday of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment