Monday, April 23, 2012

the Longest Weekend

In Rotterdam seasons can go by without anything happening, and then your diary hits a weekend with not enough hours in a day to complete your full schedule. On Thursday I was a very hard working volunteer for the coproduced opening of IABR, Luchtsingel and Motel Mozaique. My job was to drag folding-tables across a parking-lot, to make it look cozy for the official opening ceremony which included ribbon-cutting, balloons and a flashmob of Robins and Batmen. Yes, I just used the words 'parking-lot' and 'cozy' in one sentence. After all the heavy lifting, dragging, coffee arranging, spell checking, explaining the purpose of the Luchtsingel to the security and first aid people,  and kitchen cleaning (the work of a volunteer is never done), came my favorite part of the day; the balloon cutting. Releasing a net filled with dozens of colorful helium-balloons should be on anyone's bucketlist. It was just as impressive for the large group of serious-looking mature architects, as it was for their four-year old daughters. I couldn't resist slicing open a leftover balloon and inhaling the helium, making me sound like a Donald Duck character. I don't do drugs, but I'm a sucker for a good dose of helium.

view Pschorry
Friday was one of those days that I could fall in love with Rotterdam all over again. The weather cleared after the unpredictable showers of Thursday and even the sun decided to take a look at what was going on on Motel Mozaique territory. The 2-day festival of music, culture and performance comes with a surprise-guarantee, some more pleasant than others. I went to see Blaudzun. Twice.
Enjoyed the marvelous view from the 18th floor of the Hofpoort, at cafe Pschorry. Even a phonecall telling me I was rejected for an internship, didn't damage my mood, because I had my eyes on a bearded Wunderbaum Eskimo. He was singing about mountains in the snow, on a temporary stage built on top of an abandoned trainstation, surrounded by an approving audience who had to wear shades against the bright sunlight. Rejection, schmection, just let me get back to my MoMo-bubble. Biggest surprise must have been 120 Days, where I danced my socks of amidst a small crowd in good-old Rotown. After this electronic trip, the lost Hanson brother with the smokey wiskey voice of Jamie in the Gouvernestraat was a bit, well, common.
Torre en zijn Staat

The saturday was a bit of an option overdose with MoMo day 2, a street musician festival and RecordStore Day. So I let other people decide for me and just tagged along, giving myself the chance for unscheduled encounters. And it was good, solid fun. From the Hema, to the Velvet and back to square 1, the Schouwburgplein. It's still the heart and soul of the festival, where one can type an old fashioned letter, climb into a big white plastic ball whilst simultaneously listen to 'De Staat'. That evening the rain threw a curveball into my volunteering duties, arriving completely soaked at my post. Luckily I can improvise as good as the next girl, and did what everyone would do: pulled down my tanktop and wear it as a skirt. Obviously I can dedicate a few lines to the praise of Patrick Watson, but I'll only say this: if Patrick Watson was a religion, I would be a believer. More credits go to the 'Dennis' character in my Artez-encounter; a one-on-one theater thingie which left me thinking about myself, my analytical view on life and the purpose of sharing. I got some good chocolate out of it as well.
It's a good thing I wrote this blog in the train yesterday, as I came back from Brussels where I just spent a day with Anastasia, my Belarusian friend, because this Monday is a bit dark. It's not just the famous black hole you fall into after a good holiday, or in this case an amazing weekend. It's also the blankness of my ever empty diary, due to an almost uninterrupted streak of unemployment, which after one year finally seems to get the better of me. For now, I'll hope for more weekends like this last one.

1 comment: